“Speaking of Podcasts…”
Robin Williams passes and we have an extended discussion on depression. Beloved local, Nick Post, of The Source Comics and Games and MCBA passes. Also Swarm Robots, ALS Association Ice Bucket Challenge, and more!
Video and Film:
- Amazing Spider-Man
- The Sacrament
- Hercules (Disney)
- Tarzan (Disney)
- Bedknobs and Broomsticks
- Mr. Majestyk – Charles Bronson
- The Unforgiven (Audrey Hepburn, Burt Lancaster)
- Out of the Past (Blu) (Robert Mitchum, Jane Greer, Kirk Douglas – Jacques Tourneur)
- The Children’s Hour (blu) (Audrey Hepburn, Shirley McLaine)
- Bloodsucking Freaks (blu/DVD combo)
- Blackhawk Films – Chaplin’s Mutual Comedies – 1916-1917 – 12 films
- Y Tu Mama Tambien
- Tie Me Up! Tie Me Down! (Almodovar)
- Love Streams (Cassavetes)
- Young Justice (first season)
Title of the Week:
- Blood Orgy of the She Devils
- The Science of Stupid (National Geographic, starring “Names semicolon delimited”)
In the News…
Robin Williams Loses Fight to Depression
All of television honors the past of Robin Williams. YouTube and Hulu are swamped with retrospectives and old interviews. We laughed. We cried. We’ll miss him.
… Though ‘Suicide Prevention’ group warns of the “Genie, Your Free!” image going around.
Perhaps an uncomfortable conversation, but one that is needed. Even if the image was meant innocently enough. (Variety) (Bob Collins) (Cracked)
Follows a New York City cop as his life spirals out of control when he relocates his family to a small town in Minnesota; written by Hastings, MN Native, Mark Steven Johnson. (MPR News)
Comic of the Week: Henchgirl
Mini, Swarming Robots Take Shape(s)
No… Literally. (Wall Street Journal)
Not-Quite-A-Swarm, “Swarmies” Robots to be Employed by NASA
Prototypes meant for synchronized, automated rover deployment. (The Mary Sue)
#Ferguson Takes to Livestream, and other Live-Recording/Posting Solutions
While a political hotbed of racial tension, and police misconduct, the tech employed to keep the truth as visible as possible is gainfully employed by civilians.
Facebook vs Twitter Feed Algorithms
Facebook just doesn’t compete with breaking news. (Gigaom)
Inventor of the “Pop-Up Ad” Apologizes.
But also talks about advertising. (Forbes)
First Person Hyperlapse video clean-up algorithm
Brought to you by Microsoft.
Steve Ballmer excited to be Clippers owner.
Really, that’s it. He appeared at a Clippers Fan Festival (The Verge)
Ice Bucket Challenge (Fundraiser for ALS Association)
Carries a challenge to cover yourself in a bucket of ice water, and to challenge someone else to do it. They then have 24 hours to do the challenge and donate $10, or instead donate $100 to the ALS Association. Celebrities have gotten into it…
MN Fringe Festival
Sold 50,226 tickets to 878 performances of 169 shows in 11 days at 19 venues.
Copyright by Monkey
Wikimedia refuses to take down picture of monkey selfie, claiming Monkey owns the picture. (The Telegraph)
- Melissa: “Daisy Pop” App
- Mike: “I Know That Voice” – on Amazon Prime
- Paul: Comet Churymov, and it’s size in respect to Los Angeles
- Fes: Mike Maihack, creator of Cleopatra in Space, occasionally makes really cute Batgirl/Supergirl comics. What If Michael Bay directed UP? Mustache Rangers final show.
The Geek Life is an affiliate of the WCBN.