“That’s Not A Fun Ball Pit”
This week we talk about DashCon 2014, Black Captain America, Female Thor, Apple Doomed, Bats, and more!
Video and Film:
- Blue Ruin
- Ginger Snaps (blu)
- Legend of Billie Jean (blu)
- Witness for the Prosecution (blu)
- Private Life of Sherlock Holmes (Billy Wilder – blu)
- Last Action Hero (blu)
- Destroy All Monsters
- Arch of Triumph (Ingrid Bergman – blu)
- Body Double (De Palma – blu)
- Pickpocket (Bresson)
- The Essential Jacques Demy (Lola, Bay of Angels, Donkey Skin, Une Chambre en Ville, The Umbrellas of Cherbourg, The Young Girls of Rochefort)
- Show Boat
- Challenge of the Go-Bots
Titles of the Weeks
- The Last Horror Movie and The Last Horror Film (two unrelated movies)
- Open Sesame: The History of Seeds
- Clean the DVD
- Kaleido Therapy
Anders Weberg is creating a 720 hour file – wants to get it out by 2020
from the article – for every hour that makes it into the film he edits down about 7 hours of material…
DashCon 2014 … An Extra Hour In The Ball Pit
Kraut got sour at this inaugural, tumblr-oriented fan convention. A ball pit, $17,000 supposedly mismanaged, Night Vale crew walking out due to massive incompetence of the organizers… (Tumblr Tag – The Geek Diary – The Escapist) Or not? Also a self-Q&A by a panelist.
Apple is Doooooooommmmeeeedddd!
Oh wait… $37.4 bn in Mac & iOS sales. $7.7 bn in revenue for their 3rd quarter. Doomed I say! (The Register)
Oh, and IBM will be selling iPads & iPhones, Apple will provide hardware support, IBM will provide enterprise management software. (The Register) (Could it be? Lotus Notes for the iPad? Cough!)
Bats use polarized light to navigate: First mammal known to use polarization patterns in the sky to navigate
The bats use the way the sun’s light is scattered in the atmosphere at sunset to calibrate their internal magnetic compass, which helps them to fly in the right direction, a new study has shown. (Science Daily)
YouTube will allow video of their games… if they get the ad revenue
Nintendo has been really on keeping their game content from showing on video sites (like Let’s Plays). But this deal with YouTube means that they’ll get ad revenue from it now. (Polygon)
- Melissa: Powerpoint Karaoke at the Minnesota Fringe Festival
- Fes: Moon Animate Makeup! extra: American Ninja Warrior, becomes the first woman in history to qualify for Mt. Midoriyama.
The Geek Life is an affiliate of the WCBN.